- 1kg strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 20g salt
- 20g instant yeast
- 800ml tepid water
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for oiling
- 1 x 1kg jar pitted KALOGIROS green olives in brine, drained
- fine semolina, for dusting (optional)
- Oil two 2-3 litre/3½-5¼ pints square plastic container.
- Put the flour into the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the salt to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other. Add three-quarters of the water and begin mixing on a slow speed. As the dough starts to come together, gradually add the remaining water.
Mix for a further 5-8 minutes on a medium speed. The dough should now be wet and stretch easily when pulled. Add the olive oil and mix for a further two minutes. Add the olives and mix until well-distributed.
- Put the dough into the oiled containers and leave until they have at least tripled in size – for approximately an hour.
- Line four baking trays with baking parchment or silicone paper and preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
- Dust the work surface heavily with flour – add some semolina too, if you have some. Carefully tip the dough onto the surface. It will be very loose and flowing – but don’t worry. Rather than knocking it back, handle it gently so that you keep as much air in the dough as possible.
- Dust the top of the dough with flour and then stretch it out gently to a rough rectangle. Starting at one long edge, cut the dough into approximately 36 strips. Stretch each piece out until 20-25cm/8-10in long. Place six strips onto each of the prepared baking trays, spacing them apart.
- Bake the dough sticks for 10-15 minutes. Cool on wire rack.