- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, baking soda, ground cloves, ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 ½ cups KALOGIROS pitted black olives, chopped
- Grated zest and juice from 1 orange
- ½ cup currants
- 1 cup crystallized ginger, diced
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar (for glaze)
- Heat the oven to 175°C. Grease a round 9-inch cake pan, and cover with a circle of parchment paper, and grease the paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves in a bowl and blend with a whisk. Set aside. In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, olive oil, yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of the pomegranate molasses and whisk until smooth. Stir in the dry ingredients. Fold in the olives, orange zest, currants, ginger, and fennel seeds. Stir until smooth
- Spoon the batter into the cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool.
- When the cake has cooled slightly, but is still warm, run a knife around the edges. Put a flat plate on top of the cake, flip it onto the plate, then cover the cake with a serving plate and flip it again.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the orange juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of pomegranate molasses in a small saucepan, and bring just to a simmer. Add the sugar and cook for about 1 minute, whisking to form a smooth glaze. Pour the glaze over the cake and serve warm, or let cool.
Calories: 220, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 190mg, Carbohydrate: 33g, Fiber: 3g, Protein: 4g (Serves 16)